I met with all our 7th and 8th graders on Wednesday during classes. The purpose of the meeting was to bring each one of them up to speed with their grades at the end of the this trimester. I was distressed at the number of students who were PP or U at this stage of the year. During my feedback conferences, there were a lot blank looks and many shrugged shoulders. One part of the conference was to have students set one goal for their writing improvement in the next 3 weeks. In Social Studies we work on formulating specific answers. (Generalized statements usually don't accomplish much when students are writing in a content specific area.) I was getting answers such as, "Uh, study more?" from 7th graders and "Wow, I guess I'll try to turn in more of my stuff." from 8th graders.
Needless to say, we have work yet to do.
All in all, the students, when really given time to think about it, can give me feedback on what has to happen this last 8th weeks of the year. Today, they will write this goal, I'll sign it. And they will choose a classroom buddy for accountability. So, in 3 weeks, we'll see. They've done it before and I know they will come through.
Keep us posted. I think it is crucial to include the students in on the grading process. Setting goals is great. I'd like to see how they hold each other accountable.
ReplyDelete