The purpose of this blog is to enable Slavens K-8 staff to share ideas related to the teaching of writing for the Professional Development Unit "Writing Across the Curriculum." This forum will also be used for book discussions and instructional videos related to the teaching of writing.
Wednesday, February 2, 2011
Feedback in a timely manner
Well, what can one do with a snow day! My answer was to continue reading the Feedback book. I was reading about the importance of giving feedback right away. I think I am suffering the a good case of the guilties. It is so difficult for me to get papers/projects back to students the very next day. With the types of products that I require, giving feedback to 54 papers and project overnight is not possible if I want it to be quality. It does remain my goal, however, to get simple constructed responses back to students within two days of completion. I have been better at achieving my goal in the last 3 months. Sometimes, I am just overwhelmed with the written work. In order to follow the standards and truly incorporate a differentiated teaching practice, I feel that cutting back doesn't do the students justice. Nevertheless, I'll keep trying to give feed back in a timely manner.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Marcy,
ReplyDeleteGiving timely, quality feedback on written work (54 papers) is challenging. I used to dread the quantity of formal papers that I assigned students--not because I didn't enjoy reading their work--but because the time it took to grade the papers (at the high school level)was excessive. Even with the use of specific rubrics it was challenging. Utilizing read-arounds and peer response rubrics helped, but with ELL students, in particular, that was not possible. Still read-arounds and peer response can be used effectively to reduce the paperwork burden on the teacher and increase timely, quality feedback to students.