Slavens Staff: Writing Across the Curriculum: Article: Content Area Writing: "Click on this link to post comments about this article."
I've just read the first 2 sections of this article and find it a good reminder. It makes the point to have kids practice test taking so it isn't such a new skill. The other reminder I found helpful was to use models of proficiencies. This ties in to some of the feedback strategies we heard about when we jigsawed the feedback book.
Still regarding this article: thoughts on the section called using computers to improve writing
ReplyDeleteIt seems like keyboarding should be taught earlier than 5th grade. Linda and I, with Cheryl's prodding and teaching, take our students once a week to learn keyboarding. However kids are keyboarding much earlier, learning bad habits, etc. And it's not even curriculum to teach it at 5th grade. I'd like to see it taught at 3rd-4th grade and have it be district sponsored curriculum. My other beef, since I'm whining, is the fact that we don't have a full time tech teacher or even remotely state of the art equipment. Technology can be tremendously useful to teaching/learning writing but some support and adequate technology would be great. This is in no way a comment on the amazing work Steve and Cheryl do.