The purpose of this blog is to enable Slavens K-8 staff to share ideas related to the teaching of writing for the Professional Development Unit "Writing Across the Curriculum." This forum will also be used for book discussions and instructional videos related to the teaching of writing.
Wednesday, February 16, 2011
Writing Experiences in Our Classrooms
Click on the words below to see the videos.
pdu session 1 pdu session 2
Session 3 was corrupted by IC. Marcy has OKed (sorry Kathy Degi)it's absence.
Great discussion of writing in different content areas. I particularly enjoyed the juxtaposition of the poetry writing that is occuring in Kindergarten/First grade (Margo,Michelle session 1) and the math and science writing that is taking place in Cheri's 6th grade class and Kathy DuHoux's 7th and 8th grade science class (session 2). I appreciated Lisa's reflection that as teachers we want to "jump in" and help when sometimes it is better to let student writing evolve, albeit within time constraints.
I am encouraged by the Blog discussion group. Sometimes, being isolated to a particular content in the upper grades, it is easy to forget that my colleagues are facing many of the same issues. I can concur with Lisa, that I too, want to jump in and correct their writing, especially on assessment pieces. It is better to let the student evolve, but oh so hard some days. Alas, we just keep plugging along. Good video!
Great discussion of writing in different content areas. I particularly enjoyed the juxtaposition of the poetry writing that is occuring in Kindergarten/First grade (Margo,Michelle session 1) and the math and science writing that is taking place in Cheri's 6th grade class and Kathy DuHoux's 7th and 8th grade science class (session 2). I appreciated Lisa's reflection that as teachers we want to "jump in" and help when sometimes it is better to let student writing evolve, albeit within time constraints.
ReplyDeleteI am encouraged by the Blog discussion group. Sometimes, being isolated to a particular content in the upper grades, it is easy to forget that my colleagues are facing many of the same issues. I can concur with Lisa, that I too, want to jump in and correct their writing, especially on assessment pieces. It is better to let the student evolve, but oh so hard some days. Alas, we just keep plugging along. Good video!
ReplyDelete