I thought I would tell you all about a good writing book I read last weekend. It is called Because Writing Matters: Improving Student Writing in Our Schools by the National Writing Project and Carl Nagin.
The chapters are:
1. Improving Student Writing: Challenges and Expectations
2. Learning to Write
3. Writing to Learn
4. Professional Development
5. Standards and Assessments for Writing
6. What Administrators Can Do to Create Effective Writing Programs
The book addresses the importance of writing across the curriculum and how to take writing assignments to a deeper more meaningful and helpful level. One example was instead of assigning students to "Describe your bedroom; use specific details" which provides no guidelines for student to work with, it suggested a more specific wording.
For instance, "Describe your bedroom for a classmate who hasn't seen it. Your description should include enough detail so that when a classmates read it, she or he will be able to tell what you like, what your interest are, and what's important to you. In fact, from reading the description, classmates should be able to identify you as the resident of that room. Descriptions will be posted for your classmates to read."
I thought the 2nd assignment was so much more specific and really aided the writer through the process verses leaving it so open. Let me know if you have any questions.
In searching for prompts that the students will respond to this could assist us in PE. Making the prompt more specific could really assist our younger kiddos. I believe this could help us immediately. We try to use shorter prompts but a bit more detail in our assignment could show greater results from the writers.
ReplyDeleteThanks Barb. I found this helpful, and also will be reading this book. I changed a prompt I was going to give the kids in Social Studies to have more details. I felt that I got a lot more back from most of the kids because of the way it was worded with more specific info that I was looking for. I'm looking forward to our next writing to see it this helps pull more thinking and writing out of them.
ReplyDelete