Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Writing and math

In trying to push my kids to write more during math, I decided to take one small step and use an idea from the Everyday Math Teacher's Manual. The kid's always have review math boxes to do with almost every lesson. On some lesson's they have writing and reasoning prompts with one of the boxes. For example the box will have the kids finding the perimeter of a shape, and then simply put the answer. I noticed that Gretel typed up a small square of paper to put over the boxes, and for this box...I would write, Describe how you determined the perimeter of the rectangle in problem 4. I plan on modeling how I want this to look for the kids and will then make copies of both great and not so great examples from the students to share and evaluate together.
Special thanks to Gretel who sent me a template to get me started.

No comments:

Post a Comment