The purpose of this blog is to enable Slavens K-8 staff to share ideas related to the teaching of writing for the Professional Development Unit "Writing Across the Curriculum." This forum will also be used for book discussions and instructional videos related to the teaching of writing.
Saturday, December 18, 2010
Ralph Fletcher on Responding in a Substantive, Authentic Way to Student Writing
In my former teaching life, I taught all subjects, and this video reminds me of one of the perks of being a writing teacher -- that opportunity to get to know the students on a deeper level and really connect with them. You get to know more about what really makes them tick. I think the shared writing can make it easier for students to feel connected to their teacher more easily/quickly, too.
Over the past month I have approached my students writing in a different manner. Most times I was looking for basic indicators. Did the student use PE terms? Did the student answer the question? I am now looking for their story and trying to give them feedback that tells them I understand their thoughts and feelings. I have to find a way to do this quickly, I don't have much time to pull everyone aside and chat. I am throwing a few ideas around. I'll let you know how it goes.
In my former teaching life, I taught all subjects, and this video reminds me of one of the perks of being a writing teacher -- that opportunity to get to know the students on a deeper level and really connect with them. You get to know more about what really makes them tick. I think the shared writing can make it easier for students to feel connected to their teacher more easily/quickly, too.
ReplyDeleteOver the past month I have approached my students writing in a different manner. Most times I was looking for basic indicators. Did the student use PE terms? Did the student answer the question? I am now looking for their story and trying to give them feedback that tells them I understand their thoughts and feelings. I have to find a way to do this quickly, I don't have much time to pull everyone aside and chat. I am throwing a few ideas around. I'll let you know how it goes.
ReplyDelete